Windows 7 Start Orb Changer is a freeware from door2windows that allows you to change your start orb/button with just one click in Windows 7.
Apps from door2windows are truly free and DON'T include any offers to install 3rd-party apps/adware/toolbars/unwanted software and never will. The apps are portable and don't require installation.
Download door2windows App Bundledoor2windows App Bundle gives you access to all the latest apps released from door2windows in one download. Why should you get this?
- You'll get new apps and updates for free.
- You'll get premium support which actually is quite amazing despite the boring name. I'll personally make sure the app works for you and update the app if required.
- You want to support the development of existing and new apps from door2windows.
- Allows you to change the orb in four different ways:
- Context Menu
- Drag & Drop
- Change Button
- Command Line (Syntax only contains orb location)
- Works with all DPIs (If the orb is too big or too small it will automatically resize it)
- Works with both x86/32-bit and x64/64-bit
- Works with both PNG and BMP file formats
- Can integrate with desktop context menu
- Can integrate with PNG and BMP file formats' context menu
- Allows you to change the orb in two different methods:
- Memory Patching - Edits the start orb in memory which doesn't cause any UAC prompts
- Resource Editing - Edits the start orb by replacing resources of %windir%\explorer.exe
- Easy to use & simple interface
- Two modes for normal and advanced users
- First & ultimate Windows 7 start orb changer available on the internet
How to use:
Close all your apps.
Run the tool as administrator.
Select the start orb and click Open. You can get start orbs here.
Windows Explorer will now restart automatically and you will see the new start orb/button which you chose. Click OK.
To restore the original start orb click Restore. You can expand the advanced settings by clicking the arrow at the bottom right corner of the window:
Checking the Add Shortcut In Context Menu option will add an Start Orb option in the desktop context menu so that you can access the tool with one click:
Checking the Add Option In Context Menu option will add an Set As Start Orb option in the context menu of all PNG and BMP files so that you can change your start orb with one click:
To create your own start orb visit this tutorial: How To Create A Windows 7 Start Orb
In case anything goes wrong, just follow the steps in the following link to restore everything back to default easily: http://www.door2windows.com/windows-troubleshooting/
If you see "Failed to update BITMAP 6801-6824" messages in a black screen when Windows starts, do the following:
Click the arrow in the bottom right corner to see the advanced settings.
Select Change By Editing Resources.
Change the orb as usual.